Friday, August 10, 2007

CHICAGO=BUMMERTOWN!

The other day I was riding my bike through Wicker Park in Chicago and I was heading north on Milwaukee Ave. when I bumped with:





















My old friend "the bum" as we'll have to call him. Unfortunately, I don't know his real name, but he sure seems to be resting very well for his next day right underneath the CTA bus stop. It made me reflect and I was asking to myself? Why aren't the Coalitions or Organizations that can help people like this get out of their miserable and vulnerable situation helping all these people?. There's several Catholic charities, the CCH (Chicago Coalition for the Homeless) and a few other entities that give some sort of aid but the problem isn't resolved completely as you can see.
There's the alternative of "squatting" abandoned buildings, but that doesn't seem to be approachable in the state of Illinois. Amidst the large amount of abandoned buildings in the city, is really hard to find one that's well- hidden but easy for people to get to. And also the fact that certain adverse possession laws don't exist like in cities such as New York where "squatting" seems to happen in a more natural way.
Trying to be part of a Hardcore/Punk community, it seems to me that this type of topics are usually avoided. The theory behind the activism is undeveloped and not exposed to us when we have certain commodities that we never value until we lose them. It is important to know the theory underneath our beliefs if we are going to stand for something. I also think it is important to help people that need it. What if someday for an unexpected reason we have to confront our lives under this circumstances? We never know what might happen tomorrow...

No comments: