Friday, May 11, 2007

what happened to the good ol' chicago music scene?

Before I moved to Chicago, Illinois about 3 and half years ago I had the idea that a few of my personal favorite and greatest bands of all time were from this state. Bands like MK-Ultra, Charles Bronson and of course Los Crudos top the list. It was an era for the punk/HC scene were aggresiveness, high speed and hard political content in the lyrics were a crucial part of it. This key ingredients create a perfect blend if you ask me and it still prevails in many bands; but not the local bands I've seen in the city except for a few like Sin Orden, The Repos or The Coughs. I guess bands, music styles and people progress in many different ways.

I think Los Crudos had one of the greatest impacts in my life, not only because they were fast and furious but also because their lyrics were in Spanish. I remember being about 16 or 17 years old and living in Guatemala City when i first got over the mail a recorded tape with five songs from Los Crudos. I played it to some of my friends that I used to hang out with at that time and we were all blowned away. We couldn't believe that the singer was shouting out words in Spanish.This has to be one of the reasons why Los Crudos became one of the most famous punk bands from Chicago, because there has never been any band in the history of punk/HC with the same energy that Los Crudos had.

I consider myself lucky that in the summer of 2006 surprisingly they decided to make a reunion show in the latino neighborhood of La Villita, on 26th street in southside Chicago. I was impressed by the large crowd that gathered together to watch this classic band. In the picture you can see the famous Los Crudos frontman Martin Sorrondeguy.

I have been to other local shows but none of the bands I've seen have left me quite an impact like Los Crudos did, except for a few like Sin Orden, The Repos or The Coughs. Im not sure if I am being too critical about the music scene or maybe not involved enough to figure out what happened to those days, but don't get me wrong i think there are some people out there that could agree with me somehow. I just wish that this city had more energetic bands like there used to be last decade when it comes to punk/HC bands. (Or maybe I need to shut up and start my own!)

2 comments:

leeann raye said...

I don't know what you are talking about... those bands that opened for The One AM Radio were AWESOME!!!

I tend to think it has more to do with maturity. The older we get, the more we learn about the world and less we might feel inclined to feel the need to identify with something.

I never feel mature, but I know I'm more mature than a lot of people. Sometimes I wonder at what point in my life I will be comfortable referring to myself as a woman. Do you know what I mean? I mean "woman" in the adult female sense of the word. I think I'll be 80 years old and still calling myself a girl.

Maybe the people that decide to become muscicans these days just suck. You might be right. Maybe music has to regress before it can get better.

leeann raye said...

P.S.

Avril really speaks to me!

HEY! HEY! YOU! YOU!
I don't like your girlfriend!