Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Few Band Reviews...

I had a section in STRAIGHT OUTTA GUATEMALA that had a few record reviews. When I wrote the first issue of this fanzine back in 2000, I could only review a few of the records and tapes that I was listening to at the time. There wasn't any reviews of band playing local shows because I didn't occur to me , I was just going to shows to live the moment. Well, since I'm really excited of owning a camera and taking some pictures at shows I decided to make a few local live band reviews. Here they are:


1.The One A.M. Radio at Ronny's Bar on California Ave.(between Palmer St. and Lyndale St.) : Well this was an interesting show, this band has a peculiar variety of instruments as you can see in the picture. They even have a laptop that has most of the drumming and background beats. It was amazing the fact that their sound live is pretty much just how they sound in a recording. I was not disappointed at all, one of the best shows i've ever been in my whole life. They played songs from all their records which I think adds a good balance for the audience. That also showed how professional and consistent they are in their music playing. It may seem like I am worshiping them but it's just the fact that this band deserves an excellent review.








2.The Ex-Models at the Empty Bottle on Western Ave. and Cortez St. (near Augusta St.): This was a double drumming riot with double robotic motion sounding guitars and highly pitched vocals that got me dancing for a small portion of the set. At times this combination can have some melody, rythm and harmony but also it can get very distorted. Lots of electronic-like sounding danceable beats. Very good job with the lightshow on stage. Their concept of subliminal erotic messages in their lyrics makes me want to get laid with this music. Just kidding! Here you can enjoy a picture of the band with a tiny crowd watching them.







3. La Quiete in a room right next to the Red Line Tap on Glenwood St. and Lunt Ave. : This quartet from Italy play a mix of chaotic screamy hardcore with moody slow paced melodic rock. They toured the U.S. in the summer of 2006 with Phoenix Bodies from Indianapolis, In. I was really excited to watch this band, unfortunately I arrived at the show right in the middle of their third or fourth song, but I truly enjoyed the rest of their set. It's funny to mention that some people referred to them as the "handsome italians". Don't ask me why because i don't know the answer to that but you judge yourself.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.