Monday, July 23, 2007

Meet my new friend: THE BIKE.



About a year ago I decided to buy a car because it would help me get to work faster, go grocery shopping or leave on a trip out of town. It did help me with all that but i was estimating napkin numbers , as they call it in Mexico, and the cost of owning a car in one year was about 18.6% of my annual income. Personally I think that is a high percentage considering that at least 80% of the annual income goes down to pay rent, bills , etc, etc, etc.
Recently my car started having transmission problems and the situation worsened when it was obvious that i needed a new transmission, which i couldn't really afford to pay so i decided to get rid of my car and forget about it. I took out my old huffy bike from the basement and went down to "Easy Ride" Bike Shop @ 4119 N. Lincoln Ave. (chi-town baby!) and see if i could make some sort of trade and pay the difference for a bike that could be in a better condition than mine. Lucky enough they had a nice Japanese Miyata road bike. They gave me a great deal for it so i couldn't miss the opportunity of getting a nice bike. I've been riding it for a while now and it seems like i can go to many places because Chicago is a bicycle friendly city. It is a whole new world for me, and within this short time that I've been riding I've learned so many new things and even better opportunities to make new friendships.
Bicycles seem to be a world with the D.I.Y. ethic to the maximum. I am interested in volunteering for bike collectives because it seems that the aid they provide is great locally and internationally. So yeah, I dedicated this space to my new friend the bike, thanks for opening myself to this.

No comments: